Box Hill is a respectable middle-class eastern area of larger Melbourne in Victoria, Australia. Via the motorway it is fourteen kms from the central business district of Melbourne. The present town of Box Hill has an established population of just below 12 000 people. For administrative purposes, Box Hill is currently part of the City of Whitehorse.
Prior to the arrival of Europeans the place had been where you can the Wurundjeri Aboriginal people. The first European land owner was Arundel Wrighte whom took up a pastoral contract for the property in 1938. Box Hill was initially officially declared a city in 1927 with it thriving in the next century into its own city. In 1871, the inhabitants of the township was 154 and it was mostly orchards, wineries along with other mixed varieties of farming. During this time the township became a key market center for the fruits and vegetables that were grown in the area at the time. Box Hill was consumed into greater Melbourne from the 1950’s as part of the eastern growth of Melbourne. The actual term of Box Hill had been selected at the assembly in 1860 of local residents introduced a variety of popular place names. A competition occured and was won by a storekeeper, Silas Padgham, who had been later the very first postmaster of the region. Padgham had been born in Box Hill in Surrey, England, so this become the name for the township.
Lately, Box Hill is well known for its large Chinese community with more than 65% of people not being born the country. Box Hill boasts Melbourne’s highest high-rise buildings outside the central business district and because of this is often identified as Melbourne's second city. It has these days developed into a significant transport centre for the eastern and surrounding suburbs with among the most busy suburban train and bus depots. It provides a leading hospital which first opened up in 1956 as well as a significant shopping precinct. The place is supported by three high schools and one TAFE along with quite a few primary schools and pre-schools.
A significant landmark in Box Hill would be the old Surrey Dive which was a well-known swimming lake. It was never ever the best lake, but a pit which was excavated to supply clay for the brick manufacturer near by, starting in 1880 that filled up with water. There are several unsubstantiated rumours and stories around drownings in the Dive. Surrey Dive was developed at that time into one of Australia's top swimming competition venues. It was useful for competition until the 30's, when a swimming pool had been developed near the Dive. The building of the brickworks still exist but hasn't used for a long time and has become the target of graffiti artists and vandalism recently. For that reason it is now fenced off and decaying. The big smokestack continues to throw a shadow on the dive. The Dive has become an ornamental lake and also the home for the model boat club. The Dive is no longer used for swimming. That old brickworks is a secured heritage site.